By: Jenna Mitsdarfer, Class of 2023
With finals coming up, it’s easy to let nerves get the best of you. Luckily, there are ways around that! Here are five easy tips to de-stress and prepare for finals:
- Exercise: It might seem a little cliché, but exercising is actually one of the best ways to release stress before that big test! Physical activity releases endorphins that will improve your mood and decrease tension!
- Do something non-academic: Take a break from studying for a little bit! Do a craft, cook a meal, or take a walk! This will refresh your brain and give you a boost in energy and focus!
- Practice mindfulness: Spending just a few minutes practicing mindfulness can dramatically reduce stress levels. Practicing mindfulness can also improve memory, which will help your studying in the long run!
- Get a good night’s sleep: Studies show that sleep enhances your memory which helps to retain knowledge studied. Pulling an all nighter to study for a final will hurt more than it helps, as sleep deprivation causes concentration and memory problems. Get that eight hours!
- Remove distractions: The presence of a phone while studying can be very distracting. Consider putting your phone in another room while studying! Not being tempted with notifications will dramatically increase the productivity of your study session.